According to W3Techs, 43% of all sites on the Internet are built using WordPress. In addition, most new sites are built using WordPress and the various plugins that are part of it.
WordPress has its flaws and may not be the best solution for your situation, with a range of competing platforms offering a somewhat improved approach to website building.
If you’re considering WordPress alternatives, it’s essential to understand their individual differences and limitations, which will help you pick the most suitable option. We’ve compiled some of the best WordPress alternatives for 2023.
The Best WordPress Alternatives of 2023:
Why Consider WordPress Alternatives
If WP is still the #1 choice for many who want to build a website, you’re probably wondering why one should seek an alternative. After all, WordPress has a range of advantages, including various SEO tools, customization options, blogging tools, social media tools, eCommerce capabilities, and more. It’s also the basis for multiple themes, some of which, such as Astra or Divi, account for millions of websites at the moment. Most importantly, WordPress is free (although many themes and plugins are paid).
Despite all of that, WP is slowly getting outdated. First, all themes and plugins are community-created and often slow down website-building processes (and websites themselves). It’s not uncommon for WP sites to have messy code that takes ages to improve.
Second, many business owners are looking for more straightforward solutions where they don’t have to worry about managing website backups, security, updates, and more. They’re also looking for alternatives that further streamline the website-building process.
As it turns out, there are quite a few of them!
If you are considering building a website using a website builder, feel free to explore the best WordPress alternatives covered below.
Webflow is widely regarded as the best alternative to WordPress, with many fans considering it a superb builder. It’s a visual development tool with a fast-growing community responsible for hundreds of thousands of sites on the web.
Designers and developers can use Webflow to build professional and production-ready custom websites without having to write code using a visual designer tool, one of the many functions offered by this builder.
Webflow specializes in building business websites and is slowly entering the e-commerce field by introducing various capabilities, such as membership logic, and more. The builder also offers hosting services, a Webflow academy, and more.
It’s continually challenging the norms of web design, making it more convenient yet more powerful.
Here’s a list of some features you can expect from Webflow.
- Build CSS grid–powered layouts visually
- Add CSS filters to anything
- Clean, compliant, exportable code
- Add any code you need
- Detect repetitive IDs within the elements of your website
- Global swatches
- Over 2,000 web font families
- 100+ responsive website templates
The Wix website builder is easy to use and comprises almost all the elements needed to create an online presence. It features an intuitive approach to website building and is optimized for beginners.
Wix offers a range of templates for various purposes that can speed up the site creation process. There’s no need to know coding to use Wix, and that’s why 125 million users prefer using Wix over WordPress.
Wix’s only downside is that it’s not too customizable if you’re sticking to templates and don’t code, but you can still make pretty impressive websites.
- WYSIWYG editor with powerful, easy-to-use tools
- With Wix Artificial Design Intelligence, you can build personalized websites
- 800+ design templates
- Layout and design can be customized with built-in tools
- Powerful eCommerce platform with a hosted solution
- Effortless coding for advanced functionality
- SEO-friendly, mobile-friendly, and includes a mobile editor.
Domain.com is a hosted solution with a feature to build websites, blogs, and eCommerce stores easily. The easy-to-use website builder features a range of pre-built sections and page layouts which are useful for making simple websites and individual pages.
The platform is equipped with essential functionalities, including eCommerce, analytics, a blog editor, and a free SSL certificate.
It’s a budget option, as subscriptions start at just $1.99 a month. Therefore, if you’re looking for beginner-friendly WordPress alternatives, Domain.com is an option to consider.
Here are some features by Domain.com:
- AI-assisted website layout design, including images and initial content
- Design protection and customization options to maintain a professional style and functionality
- Over 550,000 images are included in the library
- Online store with inventory management tools for physical products
- Integrated shopping cart, coupons, discount codes, and capability to sell digital products
- Grow your audience by sharing on social media, capturing leads, and managing contacts.
Web.com is a popular WordPress alternative for small business owners looking for a quick way to build a website. The platform features thousands of pre-made templates and some eCommerce capabilities to run an online store successfully.
On the other hand, it’s not intended for big enterprise businesses due to various limitations.
Some of the key features are:
- Free domain
- Business email address
- Autosave & backup features
- Website security solution
- SEO tools
- Website analytics
- Other powerful website optimization tools
Shopify is probably the #1 WP alternative for eCommerce. Therefore, if you plan to set up an online store and start selling products quickly, Shopify can speed up the process with the help of its user-friendly tools, various payment options, and more. The service is easy to set up, as it offers guided assistance which can come in handy if you don’t have prior experience with running a store on the web.
The gross payments volume on Shopify has grown from $707 million in 2012 to $175 billion in 2021, with 43.2 billion recorded only in Q1 of 2022. Therefore, it’s safe to say that many eCommerce businesses have complete trust in Shopify as the best alternative for WordPress.
Here’s a quick overview of features:
- Technical support is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Completely hosted
- Modern Shopify themes and templates with stylish designs and interactive features
- Themes can be tailored to your needs
- A user-friendly backend makes adding products and variants easy
- Easily track the status of orders, notes, and comments
- Multiple payment options are available
- Tax and shipping calculator with a unique interface
- Integrating crypto wallets with digital stores through tokengated commerce
- You can link personal benefits to NFTs with exclusive NFT commerce experiences
- Shopify POS and B2B integration
Drupal is a popular CMS WordPress alternative, considered the #1 pick for those seeking advanced content management capabilities. The open-source service is highly scalable and fast, offering a range of features to cater to a range of websites.
Drupal is very similar to WordPress, as it features themes and modules, just like the most popular CMS has themes and plugins. Most of them even share identical software requirements as WP, Joomla, and similar services.
Here’s a preview of its significant features.
- A modular structure that enables content to be created in a variety of ways.
- Themes help to set up your online presence quickly.
- A starter kit consists of Drupal content packaged as 'distributions'
- Functionality can be scaled by integrating with external services and apps
- Reliable and highly secure
- Support for audio, video, and image files
- Providing decoupled and hybrid decoupled delivery of multi-channel content through APIs
- A mobile-first approach with customizable workflows
Squarespace is an all-in-one builder for all types of websites, offering a fully-managed site builder with a range of features. The service encourages a creative approach to website creation through innovative tools and options.
- Professionally designed, all-in-one templates for your website
- Entire sections can be customized by dragging and dropping
- A website builder that includes features for building eCommerce websites as well
- App/service integrations in dozens
- Hosting that is free, unlimited, and has no bandwidth or storage limits
- All pages are mobile-friendly, compatible with AMP
- Upgrade to Fluid Engine, a drag-and-drop editor with greater customization options
Finding the Best WordPress Alternative
Webflow is currently the main competitor to WordPress, as it offers a superb website builder tool combined with hosting options. It has taken website building and management to the next level. With proper assistance from Webflow experts, you will be able to build a robust and captivating website that boosts your online presence and contributes significantly to the success of your business.